Sunday 20 October 2013

Ioni 'Sentence of Love'

I mentioned in the first post on this blog that I am (was) an ardent chart follower.  Besides the Australian chart, I've also had a long interest in the UK singles chart, which I always thought was more interesting than our own, as it tends to be faster-paced (or used to be, pre downloads being included in the chart), and nearly everything that deserves to chart, does... somewhere; even if it's just scraping the top 200 (compared to the paltry Australian top 100 singles chart).  However, prior to 1994, the only readily-available UK chart information online is the top 75.  But, if you know where to look, you can search the 76-100 UK singles chart positions (by artist, since the full charts were removed from the site).  Well, for between 1983 and May 1991.

Recently, I discovered a thread on the UKMix Chart Analysis forum which has positions 76-100 from between September 1992 and February 1994.  Browsing through the list, I checked to see if I had the videos for some of the singles that peaked between #76 and #100 in the UK from this period, and lo and behold, I do.  A number of these weren't already on youtube, so I uploaded a couple last night.  Among them was this track:



I found this video on a VHS tape I acquired and converted to DVD in 2009.  I liked the song, and wrote it down on my 'to download' list of songs.  I keep this list, as often I'll think of a good song to download randomly, and then forget it by the time I get around to doing so.  But as I only watched the video once, I quickly forgot how the song went, and didn't end up downloading it.  I remember seeing it on my 'to download' list some months later, and wondering how the song went.  It seems that Ioni (that's 'ioni', not 'Loni') was a rather obscure artist (the only information I can find online is that this was a Dutch/UK dance 'project'... but I don't even know if 'Ioni' is the name of the singer or if this is a group).  This track spent a solitary week in the UK top 100, at #94, in February 1993.  Subsequently, an mp3 of the track isn't easy to come by... so I've just bought the CD single online.  I love love love this track, and have listened to the video file about 15 times in the past two days.  Criminally underrated.  As someone once posted on a youtube video of mine: "Diamonds sink; shit floats" (in reference to that song's chart placing).

No comments:

Post a Comment